Stock Trading Game Plan
U.S. stock futures are inching higher ahead of the open, which could mean more stock market records by the end of the day.
The S&P 500 index finished Thursday at an all-time closing high after rising by 1.1%. The Dow Jones industrial average also gained 192 points on Thursday, while the Nasdaq jumped by 1.4%.
Meanwhile, the U.S. dollar is staging a modest comeback against a range of major global currencies, after tumbling this month following a significant rally.
S&P 500 Breakout of 212 (again)
Is the back-and-forth finally over?
We are pointing towards a higher open through the S&P 500 breakout level of 212. The question is whether or not we stay there.
Trading breakouts can be tricky. There are 3 entries to consider. Each is based on you conviction in the underlying trend.
- Enter as soon as price crosses above the breakout price.
- Enter on a close above the breakout level.
- Wait for a pause above the breakout level.
The current S&P 500 breakout is the first scenario. I would not be aggressive through the level. The preceding price action shows too much indecision. Your trading plan should have these decisions made for you already. If you need some help developing your plan let us know.
Stocks to Trade | Friday May 15, 2015
- SPY breaks through the 212 level on average volume at best.
- The bears are going crazy with the continued melt-up. Don’t fight it. You may be correct long-term but we are trading.
- Consumer goods and financial services have the best relative strength to trade.
Interesting Chart Lessons:
- HOG Harley Davidson at 52 week lows with the stock market averages at new highs.
- Retail stocks getting clobbered this week too.
Earnings in play today > 1M avg shares: AKRX, CIG, KITE, WLT
Bullish Ideas ATR/Volume/Price: AET, GILD, GS, IBM, MA, V, SCTY, NFLX, TASR, UNH, UTX, YUM
Bearish Ideas ATR/Volume/Price: NBL, KSS, CLR, APA, HES, APC, BIDU
Weak Stock Weak Close: ANF, BBY, CLR, MU, NBL, WYNN, NOV, SNDK
Strong Stock Weak Close: CTRP
Weak Stock Strong Close:
Strong Stock Strong Close: ABT, ADBE, AVGO, CCL, CTSH, PM, VLO, XLNX, YOKU
20 day Breakdown: HOG, M, KSS, NBL, TGT
20 Day Breakout: ABT, ATML, HON, KRE, MTG, OPK, XLNX, YOKU
2x Normal Volume: KSS, CTRP, HOG, YOKU, DHR, M, DD, ESRX, CSCO, TGT, OPK, MXIM
Core Watch List Longs: PM, PRU, BK, SBUX, ABT, AET, HON, COF, JPM, ADBE, AKAM, ALTR, EBAY, JNPR, INTU
Core Watch List Short: TJX, COST, TRV, TGT, ALL, BBY, KSS, AMAT, DD, JCP, NTAP, TOL
Pre Market Game Plan Meetings:
The only online meeting that delivers week-by-week progress.
Quickly improve your ability to pick winning stocks. Start your 30 day trial today.